Include Someone, Make a Difference
By 826 National and Cartoon Network
This lesson encourages students to consider and write about the myriad ways to include someone, stop bullying before it starts, and make a difference.
Narrative, Social-Emotional Learning
1 Session: 2 Hours
7 Lesson Handouts
What Your Students Will Learn
Students will apply their understanding of plot elements and characterization to write an original, inclusive resolution to a shared story.
Common Core Alignments
Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with reasons.
Provide reasons that support the opinion.
Provide a concluding statement or section.
With guidance and support from adults, produce writing in which the development and organization are appropriate to task and purpose. (Grade-specific expectations for writing types are defined in standards 1-3 above.)
Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, descriptive details, and clear event sequences.
Use dialogue and description to develop experiences and events or show the responses of characters to situations.
What Your Students Will Produce
Students will produce original stories inspired by Cartoon Network characters that illustrate the power of inclusion.
Writing Samples from This Lesson
- Meanwhile at Jump City School... by Issa Caothien, 826NYC
- Meanwhile at the Bear Cave... by Alongkorn, 826 New Orleans
- Meanwhile at Jump City School... by Muawiye, 826 Boston
- Meanwhile at Jump City School... by Yusuf, 826 MSP
- Meanwhile at the Bear Cave... by Yaretzi, 826LA
- Meanwhile at Jump City School... by Christian, 826michigan